Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Cottage

So we took the kids to the cottage in Muskoka from July 10-12 partly because we wanted to get away and see our cousin Greg and partly because we knew that it would be the last time that we got the visit the sacred cottage as it has been sold. The cottage is now owned by my uncle but was originally owned by my grandparents and has been in the family for about 40 years or more. Ann and I used to go up every summer for a couple weeks when Grandma was alive and it has become the place that I feel closest to her. I haven't been there in a few years so I knew that this summer I had to make the long drive. And it was well worth it. It still looks exactly as I remember it aside from a few minor changes my Aunt and Uncle made. I love the peace and quiet, the sound of the boats, and the loons. I could stay almost forever.
As soon as we got there I got changed into my bathing suits, grabbed the life jackets for the kids and headed down to the dock where I immediatly dove in. How refreshing!!! A little cool but what lake isn't. Paige came in next and really liked it though I had to keep my arms wrapped tightly around her. It was really difficult treading water without being able to use your arms! Koby traded off and came in for a quick moment. He wasn't too sure of it. Both stayed in long enough for us to capture the moment on camera and then out they went. Now they have officially been swimming in the beautiful Lake Joe.
Late in the afternoon the next day we went for a 2 hour boat ride and showed the kids around the lakes. It was also a chance for me to see the many changes to the landscape. Many new huge cottages have been built. They get bigger and bigger every year. I would love to see what these peoples homes look like if those are just their cottages! My goodness. Paige and Koby LOVED the boat ride...Paige did her happy scream several times and they kept yelling "boat" at every one that passed. It was very refreshing.
Wednesday morning we left for the long drive home ...and was is long! It was raining so hard that we missed our turn and had to go way out of our way. It ended up costing us an hour which made a 5 hour drive a 6! Not fun, especially when Koby cried pretty much the entire way. We were all very happy to see our home sweet home.
Now Muskoka is the farthest the kids have been from home and it will probably hold that record for quite awhile.

No comments: